How to Make 5 Minute Play Dough

I've been having a lot of fun this summer doing "Mommy School" with the kids.  My kids are getting a little older and it's really fun to sit down together each day and work on different fun schooly things together.  I used to be an elementary teacher, so these kind of things appeal to me.

I only have school for about two hours a day. I like to have the kids practice writing, doing some math, then we work on some fun project together, they have "recess" aka play outside, then we have lunch together. And that's it.  Fun right?

Well yesterday our "fun project" was making play dough together.



As a kid we used to make play dough all the time and I just loved it.  So it's always fun to do it with my kids as well.


Here's the recipe we followed:

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 c. salt
1 c. flour
2 tbs. cream of tartar
1 Tbs. oil
1 c. water
food coloring

DIRECTIONS:

Mix the salt, flour, cream of tartar, and oil in a pan.  Mix in water and stir well with wire whisk.  Place pan on stove and cook 2 - 3 minutes on medium heat.  Stir constantly.  When the mixture becomes thick and no longer mixes with wire whisk, remove from heat.  Knead the dough.  
When desired texture is achieved, divide dough up and add food coloring.  Mix well with hands.  Enjoy!  

Then I just let the kids play!


They had lots of fun.
And no, nobody ate any-- just pretending here.


I sat down and played with the kids, too.


Once you're done, wrap these up in baggies and stored in the fridge for another day of fun.

Also, I will note I usually always make my kids do play dough on top of cookie sheets, so there's a lot less clean up after-- but apparently I lost my mind and forgot to make them this time.  I remembered once I started cleaning up-- why I always make them play on cookie sheets.


Comments

Popular Posts