Young Women Activity- Box of Lies

As I've mentioned before I work with young women in my church, ages 12-18.  Each Wednesday we meet together and typically we're trying to do a lot of good for ourselves, others, and our God.   Each month we're specially preforming a service to others.  Often times we're learning a new skill (I've taught them lots of sewing- ha), or we're learning about safety or, generally, trying the better the world or ourselves.

That's literally a lot of growth and good we're putting out there.  And I love it -- however, I felt like we just needed to spend one night where we're having a lot of fun, getting to know each other-- and well, learning to lie a little...




If you're a big fan, like me, of The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, then you may have seen his game they made up, Box of Lies.  Literally, the first time I saw it, I thought, "We should totally do this as an activity.  It would be So fun!"  Last week we finally did it!

Here's how we played the game.

FIRST, I made the board.
I was seriously struggling with how to make the board.  Mostly, because my go-to for all things is sewing.  And I was envisioning this fabric draped over PVC pipes, with a hole cut out.  It wasn't going well in my mind.  When I talked it over with some friends, my friend immediately said, "How about a science tri-fold board?"  I was like, Ah-HAH ingenious!  

So, I headed over to WAl-mart, picked up a black board.  I sat down at the table to try to determine how high the hole should be, then traced a big rectangle on the board.  Then, I cut that out with an exact-o knife.

Next I markered in each side with a silver or gold sharpie.  This made the holes really pop out and made my team names easy -- Gold team and Silver team.


For about three months I've been collecting boxes.  A lot of these came from the ReStore.  Plus a few from friends.


For what was inside I tried to get as creative as possible!  Mostly, I just went to the toy room and went for the most random collections I could think of.  Below are a few examples: A centipede, wearing Belle's princess dress, sitting inside Cinderella's glass slipper.  A rubbery Brontosaurus, wearing a jockey hat.  Olaf and R2D2 talking inside a pink baby crib.  A stem engine with a conductor and a brush.
 Before we started I read to the girls, the Official Rules:

Up front are a bunch of boxes containing objects no one has seen before.  
Taking turns each side will select a box, open it on your side of the table, out of view of the other person.
Once the object is out of the box, you look at your opponent and tell them what's in the box. 
You might be lying, you might be telling the truth.
Your opponent has to guess if it's a lie or a truth.
If you guess correctly you get a point.
Guess wrong, your opponent gets a point. 
Whichever team has the most points at the end of the the time, gets a Million Sugary Snacks!!!
The Looser gets nothing!
Let us begin!
I divided the girls up into groups, Silver and Gold.  Once each girl selected her box and sat down, I had them answer a simple math question.  Whoever answered it correctly First, got to go first.

This game was so fun and so random. 
 Just like I hoped it brought lots of laughing and we all had fun.

Comments

Popular Posts